Sunday 1 May 2011

Monkeys, Space and Meerkats...

Well, it's proving to be a slow journey back from the Marathon... literally!

Running with club on Thursday, I was unable to keep up with the rest of the group, struggling to run at 10.30 minute miles; to put this is perspective, before I began training for a marathon, my natural 'talking' pace was 10 minute miles, something that posed no problem whatsoever. Mr OH thinks I may have broken my running; that I pushed it too far and now it doesn't work anymore! He may be right, however I don't plan to give up just yet! With legs that felt like they'd run another 26 miles, rather than just 5, by the time we finished the session on Thursday though I was glad to give running a miss for the weekend.

Instead, this weekend has been about windy parks, animals and space. Not all together though!

Visiting Trentham Gardens, in Stoke-on-Trent, we traversed the wild open plains and I laughed at my friends as they completed Barfuss, a bare-foot walk; if I had ever been tempted to try bare-foot running (which I haven't), then this walk would have been enough to put me off... torturous is the only word that could describe it!




The following day we had fun with monkeys in the very aptly named Monkey Forest. The monkeys were very cute and provided much entertainment for the 2 hours or so we were there. We then hot-footed it over to Leicester where we entertained ourselves for the afternoon in the National Space Centre; where I provided much amusement for everyone else in the 'We are Astronauts' film by falling fast asleep... I don't think I snored, but I do think my mouth was wide open! What can I say... It had been a long day!


Finally, as if we hadn't had enough of animals for the weekend, we all stopped off at Yorkshire Wildlife Park, in Doncaster, on the way back 'op north' today. Where it was (obviously) the Meerkats that entertained us the most... Simples!

In amongst all of this was copious amounts of incrediably bad, highly fatty, completely wrong food and a very teeny, tiny amount of alcohol, which is why I am just going to have to set about 'fixing' this running of mine tomorrow... perhaps a gentle 3 miler at a nice relaxed pace will help... I'll let you know how it goes!

5 comments:

  1. Oh no, a broken running. I wonder where the manual went. Maybe there's a nice repair man that could be called upon to fix it.

    I like the blog makeover by the way :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monkeys, meerkats, food and friends. The perfect ingredients for a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the 3 miles fixes you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your new background and fonts. I'm sure it isn;t broken - just in need of some maintenance! Hope your 3 miles went well x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of a nice repair man... hmmm...

    With the introduction of spring I thought it was the best time for a blog make-over... glad you like it!

    It was a lovely weekend, something which I'm hoping to be able to repeat sooner, rather than later, there's nothing better than spending time with friends, which is why I spent the whole day in a pub garden yesterday... well, that's my excuse!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading... feel free to leave me a message. Maggiee x